Current:Home > NewsBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -GrowthProspect
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 03:57:22
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (799)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Charlie Puth Finally Reacts to Taylor Swift’s Tortured Poets Department Song Name Drop
- Uncomfortable Conversations: Being a bridesmaid is expensive. Can or should you say no?
- Alabama court won’t revisit frozen embryo ruling
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Jalen Brunson is a true superstar who can take Knicks where they haven't been in decades
- Three groups are suing New Jersey to block an offshore wind farm
- China launches lunar probe, looking to be 1st nation to get samples from far side of moon
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Bryan Kohberger's lawyer claims prosecution has withheld the audio of key video evidence in Idaho murders case
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas vows to continue his bid for an 11th term despite bribery indictment
- Fever move Caitlin Clark’s preseason home debut up 1 day to accommodate Pacers’ playoff schedule
- 'Freedom to Learn' protesters push back on book bans, restrictions on Black history
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Lewis Hamilton faces awkward questions about Ferrari before Miami F1 race with Mercedes-AMG
- Summer heat hits Asia early, killing dozens as one expert calls it the most extreme event in climate history
- After top betting choices Fierceness and Sierra Leone, it’s wide open for the 150th Kentucky Derby
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Darvin Ham out as Lakers coach after two seasons
Hulk Hogan, hurricanes and a blockbuster recording: A week in review of the Trump hush money trial
North Carolina candidate for Congress suspends campaign days before primary runoff after Trump weighs in
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Michigan Supreme Court rules against couple in dispute over privacy and drone photos of land
NYPD body cameras show mother pleading “Don’t shoot!” before officers kill her 19-year-old son
You Won't Be Able to Unsee Ryan Gosling's La La Land Confession